**This posting is NOT for a position at Brave New Films. We are posting on behalf of SEIU Local 721. Please do not contact BNF for questions about this position.**
SEIU Local 721 is looking for a Worksite Organizer. This position is for the Ventura Office.
Under the supervision of the Regional Leadership, the Worksite Organizer is responsible for developing worksite leadership structures; recruiting new members; new leader recruitment, supporting members in exercising political power; participating in organizing and political campaigns; and negotiating union contracts. Also responsible for organizing new underrepresented groups of workers interested in union representation and/or internal organizing and bargaining support campaigns. Responsible for preparing work plans, calendars, files, reports and other records. This is not a 9 to 5 job - long and varied hours, with early morning, evening and weekend work, as necessary.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Recruitment: Accountable for working with union leadership and stewards and recruiting new members to participate in union activities and political campaigns. Regular one-on-one contact with members will be required.
- Leadership Development: Develop and maintain effective worksite leadership structures through the recruitment, training, and support of stewards and other union leaders. Build stewards' councils, issue committees, and other leadership structures.
- Staff Development: Responsible to seek out and identify individual staff development needs with Supervisor.
- Communication: Maintain regular and effective communication with workers in assigned jurisdictions through personal visits, including house visits flyers, newsletters, phone calls, mailings, bulletin board postings, and meetings. Respond to telephone messages in a timely manner.
- Issue Campaigns: Participate in the development and implementation of effective industry strategies and coordinated activities to raise standards. Identify significant worksite and/or departmental issues and develop strategies and tactics to effectively address them, including petitions, group grievances, work actions, media events, and legal actions.
- Legislative and Electoral Campaigns: Participate in and recruit members to participate in legislative and electoral campaign activities, including lobbying, phone banking, letter writing, door-to-door canvassing, and other activities.
- Administration: Maintain a calendar which accurately documents past, present, and future activities, visits, weekly work plan, and appointments in connection with work as a worksite organizer. Maintain accurate records, including activity reports.
SKILLS, APTITUDE, AND COMMITMENT:
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- High level ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Analytical skills necessary to interpret contract language.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimal supervision; must be well-organized and self-motivated.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discern priorities.
- Ability to make effective use of resources available to the union.
- Dedication to improving the position of working people and strengthening the role of organized labor through work actions, community relations, and legislative and political activity.
- Ability to work effectively with members and staff from diverse ethnic, social, and economic groups.
- Prior union organizing and negotiations experience is highly desirable, but not required.
- Prior labor experience is preferred, but not required.
- Related experience will be given consideration as will steward and rank-and-file experience.
- You must possess a valid California driver’s license, auto insurance, and an automobile for business use.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
- Salary range as of July 1, 2010: $53,023.62 (entry) to $76,313.38 (10+ years).
- Fully paid benefit package including medical, dental, vision and a generous life insurance.
- The Worksite Organizer is an UUP bargaining unit position subject to a staff union contract.
HERE'S HOW TO APPLY
Mail, fax or e-mail a cover letter, detailed resume, two-page writing sample and the name, job title, address, and phone number of three professional references to:
Human Resources Department
SEIU Local 721
1545 Wilshire Blvd. #100
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Fax: (213) 401-1787
WHO WE ARE:
SEIU Local 721 is a dynamic, and fast growing organization recognized as one of the largest and strongest union of publicly funded employees in the nation. We are on the forefront of local politics, defending public services in the face of budget challenges, organizing workers in the public service sectors and are key players in national reform efforts. We have over 200 staff members covering 6 counties. Our more than 80,000 members provide public services in diverse fields, including health care, social services, special districts, private non-profits, libraries, courts, parks and recreation, public works and mental health in cities and counties throughout Southern California. Through grassroots organizing, identifying and developing leaders within our Union, and organizing worker political power, we are on the front lines of holding government accountable, ensuring efficiency, tackling waste, and improving services.